What is surgery for bone regeneration?
One of the more severe consequences of periodontal disease is the loss of bone tissue in your jaw, leading to loose teeth and eventually tooth loss. Dr. Monica A. Flynn, our expert periodontist, may suggest bone regeneration to reverse and prevent these negative effects as a main goal of periodontal treatment. During this surgical treatment, we will gently fold back your gum tissue to gain direct access to your bone, and then to place:
- Bone replacement grafts using:
- Your own bone, if available
- Synthetic bone filler particles
- Human freeze-dried bone particles from a tissue bank
- Biological modifiers, such as:
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) – growth factors from your own blood
- Emdogain – an amelogenin-containing protein
- GEM21S – recombinant growth factors
- Collagen and other barriers for guided tissue regeneration or to contain bone grafts
At Alamo Heights Periodontics, bone regeneration surgery allows us to strengthen your smile and maintain your overall oral health. With compassion and skill, we work hard to help you feel comfortable and confident with the care you receive at our office. If you would like more information about bone regeneration in San Antonio, Texas, we invite you to contact our skilled periodontal care team today. We look forward to working with you!